Fly Baby Fly
Okay, this was yesterday's Step and I actually did it yesterday!
Day 9 in the Beginner Baby Steps says to Declutter a few minutes at a time.

oday we are going to learn how to declutter our homes a few minutes at a time with some fun tools that I know you have been wondering about from the reminders you have been reading in our emails. Making it fun will get the job done!

She also includes instructions for decluttering.

So, I put my timer on for 15 minutes and tackled my bedroom (finally!). I only managed to get the entrance an the dresser tops done, but it looks so much better.

My 15 minute Declutter
Before:


After:



Day 9 also says
Add a 5 minute room rescue to your Morning Routine.


And yet, she doesn't say what a "5 minute room rescue" is. It can't be the same as putting out a hot spot and clearly it isn't a short declutter or she would have said that. I checked the "Flying Lessons" link, nothing. I tried the site index, nothing.

Thankfully, somebody else found it in the FAQs. A 5 minute room rescue is spending 5 minutes on your worst room. There are two reasons I'm not going to do this part of the step.

1) I don't have 5 minutes to add to my morning routine. If I wake at home, I work out, and have a list of other things to get done before driving 50 minutes to work. If I'm at the boyfriends house, I have to get up 1/2 an hour earlier and drive 20 minutes home before starting anything resembling my morning routine.

2) The worst room in the house isn't mine. Okay, sounds like a cop out. But let's remember I live in my mother's house. And sure, she's not living in it most of the time, but her stuff is. And our worst room, the junk room, is full of her and her husbands stuff. Stuff that she, for whatever mysterious reason lives in her psyche, won't, or can't, or doesn't want to, get rid of. So, I have no reason to clean it up for her. The one time I even considered it and mentioned, it felt like I was asking her to kill a puppy.

So, room rescue (now that I know what it is)is permanently scratched off of my list.

Which brings me to an off topic... the Flylady website. I get it, nobody's perfect, and we're learning to scrap perfectionism in order to really get a handle on mess and clutter. But honestly, her website is the most cluttered, hard to navigate mess I have ever come across online. Surely sales of "rubba scrubbas" are enough to pay for a decent web designer?

But... as Fly Lady would say:



Oh well, off to check out step 10 to see what I have to do when I get home, and then to Big Tent to read more product placement testimonials and uplifting "you can do it" emails.
Labels: , edit post
2 Responses
  1. YAY!!! You are trucking along! I love doing the Flylady way....her method has kept me sane. Like I said on my blog, I pretty much have the rest of the house down...it was that stupid office...I didn't know what I wanted to do with and now I do. It is a great thing you are doing this to your mom's house, because it will be WONDERFUL when you get your own place and can already have the routines down. You mom should love you for it as well...I know I had a boomerang and she did NOTHING to help around the house....was very irritating. She now has her own house w/ 2 roommates....need to send her your blog... ; ) Thanks for stopping by and I'll be sure to come back here too!!!


  2. Fly Baby Fly Says:

    Thanks for coming by and commenting!
    My ultimate goal is, when my mom calls in January to tell me she's on her way home and says "don't worry about cleaning the house, I'll do it when I get home." I can respond with "Don't worry, it's already done!"

    And, yes. I really am also practicing for when I have a place of my own. If I can get it down now, here I'll have no problems when I have my own place.


Related Posts with Thumbnails