Fly Baby Fly
This habit of picking out the clothes you are going to wear tomorrow before going to bed, is one that I already do about 80% of the time. The other 20% I usually think about what I am going to wear and decide before going to sleep. The problem with this is that once in awhile I find that an item I was thinking about is dirty, has a stain I didn't notice, or is in some other way not wearable. I am hoping that I can remember to do this physically and actually hang them up so they are ready for the morning.

Also, it is August 1st today. On Big Tent (which I have been trying to read most days) Fly Lady picks a new habit to work on each month. I missed July's (swish and swipe) because I started so late and because I haven't gotten to that part in the baby steps. I don't want to do too much at once and burn out : )

But, August is Laundry month. I'm actually pretty excited about this. I am one of those people who doesn't do laundry until every last piece of underwear has been worn and I literally have no other choice. So, on average I do laundry once a month. Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. And gross. But whatever - who says you have to wash a pair of jeans after you've worn them out for 4 hours? It's a waste of water. However, I do realize that if I would get a handle on it I wouldn't be in the predicament I described above, finding out that what I want to wear is sitting in the hamper.

Today's "morning musing" is about decluttering your "Mt. Washmore." Lets face it, people today have tons of Stuff. Our houses are bigger than 20 years ago for many reasons, and extra closet space is just one of them. I know that I have way more clothes than I actually wear or even like. Much of it are clothes from 2 years ago when I was a little thinner and going out almost every night and had something fun to do every weekend. Of course I needed alot of clothes for that lifestyle. Then I took on 3 part time jobs and by necessity had to stop going out all the time, and by virtue of sitting around working all day I gained a few pounds (approximately 1 dress size, depending on where I shop).

Like many women I hang onto those clothes in the hopes that "someday" is just around the corner and I will fit into them again. Other clothes that still fit, I keep thinking "I could wear that to..." It's hard to accept that fact that my life and life style has changed to the point where the little sparkly tops are really never going to get worn again. : (

I do however get excited by the prospect of work clothes. I love Express and Worthington's at JCPenny (I get a gift card from my father for every occasion). I am also trying to be fairly budget conscious. I've always been frugal - I buy on clearance and with coupons. I don't buy things I'm not going to immediately use and get my money out of. So in that way I am trying to implement an 1 in 1 out strategy. If I buy new clothes or shoes, it must replace something that is old or worn out in my wardrobe. At the same time I really need to de clutter my going out clothes and pare it down to the items I think are appropriate to where I go now. It used to be dance clubs and now it's MBA mixers and dinner parties. Luckily there is a Plato's Closet near my house. So, in getting rid of these clothes, I might even be able to make some cash!
0 Responses
Related Posts with Thumbnails